Saturday, April 16, 2011

Do you remember your first....


Bubble O' Bill?

The chocolate, strawberry and was that caramel? ice cream, I never really could tell.  And of course the quintessential bubble gum nose.  Who could forget this icon from our childhood.
I remember as a child trying so hard to eat around the bubblegum just right, so that it wouldn't fall off on to the ground before having the chance to chew chew chew.  I also remember it being a really average bubblegum as far as bubble gum is concerned, but the experience as a whole was pretty amazing.

So LittleBee is at the ice cream freezer at Adventure Park last week, trying ever so hard to choose just the right ice cream for herself.  She has pretty indulgent tastes, and I could see her eyeing off the new Magnum Temptation.  She has never been a plain lemonade icy pole kind of kid.  Even as a baby she would prefer a Callipo over an icy pole every time.  Just as her hand starts to reach for that Magnum, I spy a Bubble O' Bill!  

Try explaining to a 7 year old that this is the most amazing ice cream EVER.  I mean, look it has a bubble gum nose.  She kind of stared at me, bewildered, not truly understanding what I was saying.  But it looked cool enough for her, so she grabbed it and headed to the counter.  The sales lady was really enthusiastic about the Bubble O' Bill too, and told LittleBee that it's nose was bubble gum.  Oh My Goodness!  Really!  Like it was something she had never heard before.  Obviously I wasn't speaking 7 year old when I told her just how amazing it was.  Or, as I came to realise later, perhaps she didn't really know what bubble gum was.  I'm pretty sure she hasn't had it before, other than bubble gum flavoured ice cream.  Might make sense why she stared at me so funny ;)

Bubble O' Bill was very quickly devoured.  I swear they are only half the size as they were when we were kids.  LittleBee was very impressed with the trio of  ice cream flavours, individually naming each one as she took bite after bite.  "Yeah, it is caramel mum, I can taste it!"





The bubble gum only lasted about 5 minutes.  She didn't like having to chew something and not really getting to eat it.  But needless to say, she has experienced a true Aussie Icon.

Ah Bubble O' Bill... thanks for the memories.

3 comments:

  1. Love it. So glad she got to experience the joy of a Bubble o' Bill. I am certain the size is far smaller....or have we just gotten bigger??!!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Noo that they are not as big as they used to be! (I indulged while preg with Ashman, before the dairy intolerance truly hit :( ) . This is a wonderful post and I am so glad that she had a go at it :) . I must introduce this to K soon :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out my new blog as I have made my other ones private!

    http://icherishhh.blogspot.com/

    Follow along if you like x

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...