Sunday, July 3, 2011

"Mumma, can you fix this?"

"Mumma, can you put Barbie's leg back on?"

"Mumma, can you take the lid off this glue stick?"

"Mumma, I fell over, can you kiss it better?"

I
'm a fixer. I was thinking about this the other day when I was looking at a small pile of mending and listening to the girls chatter in the next room. The mending wasn't going to happen any time soon, not with the larger, growing pile of dirty laundry to be done. As I started the washing machine and prepared the next load to be washed, there was a familiar shriek from the back room... LadyBug had fallen off her little trike and this time she had landed flat on her face, leaving a tiny cut on her sweet little lips. The screams rose and intensified as I rushed into the room and swept her into my arms... "shhh, darling. Mumma's here. Mumma will fix it". And with lots of comforting kisses and warm cuddles the tears are forgotten and the little one can resume her adventures once again. Mumma saves the day!!

So Mumma is a fixer. I mend broken Barbies, and soothe crying babes. I can turn a cereal box into a doll bed and make a "just right" hot chocolate. I can apply a bandaid and know just the right buttons to push to get the DVD working or to skip the nasty parts.

That's what Mummas do best.

Unfortunately the mighty powers of an "all-fixing Mumma" are limited. Its not like when Gotham City is in trouble, and they can just call on Batman to come save the day. There's lots of things that this Mumma can't fix...

I can't take away a sweet little boys battle with leukemia. I can't make a dear friend's scary blood clot vanish. I can't make my best friend's daily struggles with Aspergers disappear. I can't kiss all the pain away from the precious abandoned children in Thailand.

And as I lay in bed at 3am, cradling a sick little LadyBug who is running a fever and struggling to sleep I am gently reminded that there is only One who can take her fever from her. In the quietness of the night I ask Him to help this little child fight off the infection that is making her so miserable. He is telling me that I can ask Him to be the Fixer...

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:6-7



I am a mother, and yes, I am a fixer.... but God is a way better Fixer than me

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I met you Nicole.. your a wonderful mother and an ispiration of how I only dream of being. I have a lot of christian friends and I feel unworthy because I feel spiritually alone in my life. But your blog reflects you and I really relate to it! Your so wise and I just wanted to say thank you! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel, you are so lovely. Been thinking about you and hope we can catch up again sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful Nicole. This is the first time that I have popped in and I know that it won't be the last. A mothers heart is always so close to the heart of God, you show everyone that so easily by your precious sincere words. Thankyou for being so open Nicole, it is always wonderful to read the realness of life, love you heaps, Aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Aunty. Your comment made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...