Monday, February 27, 2012

maybe God is trying to tell you something?

A scene from a tv show we sat and watched together yesterday plays over and over in her mind...

There seems to be some trouble with the car stereo, so Matt pulls over while his mum (Annie) sets about fixing the loose wires.  A man suddenly appears at the driver side window and robs them at gunpoint.  Annie hands over their money and jewellery and he takes it all and the car keys before fleeing.

But they are safe.  Later in the show they are able to positively identify the assailant, and it's then assumed he is bought to full justice for his crimes.  And although the family are safe and there is no threat at all any of them, LittleBee can't get past the fact that something bad happened to them.  And if something bad can happen to them, it can happen to her.  To us.

As we settle into bed for the night, she replays the scene again and again.  We pray with her and offer her words of comfort which settle her for the time.  She understands that it's fiction, a made up story.  But to her 8 year old mind that doesn't change the fact that it could be real.  She succumbs to a restless sleep.

Then the morning comes.  And the thoughts are still haunting her.  She is afraid of being alone her room.  She is afraid of being alone in the bathroom.  She is afraid to be alone.  Her little sister offers distraction and comfort, and knowing that the front door is locked is a securing thought for her for a while too.

I shared a verse with her as I was trying to comfort her, and entice her back into her room to complete the tasks I had set for her.  It's a verse we often quote when we feel powerless or afraid...

 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.  2 Timothy 1:7

I explain to her what it means, and she accepts it, although would still much rather not be in her room alone.  A little bit of love and attention and she is alright again.

Driving home from an outing this afternoon, I changed the radio to 89.9 LightFM to catch the end of the news.  The announcer reads out a verse of scripture, as they do every hour.  At that time the verse was 2 Timothy 2:1-7!  God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power.  Of love.  Of sound mind!

"oh I think God is trying to tell you something LittleBee!  Are you listening?"
"yes, well I think I am"

I don't think it was a coincidence that I changed the station this afternoon.  I don't think it was a coincidence that the very same scripture came to mind in speaking with LittleBee earlier in the morning while I was trying to dispel her fears of the "bad" that might happen.  I really do believe that God was trying to comfort her, to remind her that He is there for her even when it's dark, or when she's scared, and that the fear that she was facing is not from God, but that He has filled her with a spirit of power and love.

It made me think of one of my all time favourite movies, "The Colour Purple"... a very emotional and powerful movie.  There's a very moving scene where a daughter reunites with her father after many years and a very disjointed relationship.  I love it when the elderly lady in the church says, "Shhh, let's sing 'God is trying to tell you something'."  I wanted to shout it out to LittleBee and burst into song there in the car, but that's a little dangerous while you are driving on a major highway in the rain!  But, now that I'm home I can rejoice.

I found the clip on Youtube :)  Have a look, and who knows, maybe God is trying to tell you something today.  Are you listening for Him?



1 comment:

thanks for taking the time to comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...