Friday, April 6, 2012

an afternoon in the garden

It's not very often in a normal day that I just stop and spend time playing with the kids.  *gasp*  I'm just being honest!  It's hard to find time to play dress ups and build sand castles when there is always a pile of something that needs to be washed or folded, or something that needs scrubbing or wiping.  Bills, dishes, laundry, food... Oh that the house would clean itself, the meals be cooked and served and all that would happen so that a mother can bend a knee little more often and brush a barbie's hair.

The perils of motherhood?  Or the reality of life?  I'm not sure.  Perhaps it's the expectation that I place upon myself that everything should be done, and the realisation that the little people around me are buzzing and growing and having a world of fun at my feet.  And one day soon they won't be calling on me to come play anymore.

So one day I decided to stop and listen.  On this particular day, as I looked down into the sweetest big round chocolate-pool eyes, I listened to LadyBug's pleas and headed her call for me to "tome"...


 "tome" pick the flower buds from the trees...




"tome" find a strawberry to nibble on...




"tome" play ball...



"tome" sit on a rock in the shade of a big ol' tree and look around in wonderment!




These little people of mine are teaching me more than I ever thought possible... teaching me to really take hold of the moments while they are still there for the taking.  That you can't buy back the time once it's gone.  That sunny autumn days should be spent outside exploring the world of the back yard, soaking in the sun, bouncing on the trampoline, building sand castles, gathering treasures.  I need to let the grubby little fingers of my little people grab hold of my bigger hands, and let them drag me into their little world of adventure, fun and make believe.

These are precious moments that I really want to savour.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...