Wednesday, July 31, 2013

bedtime stories

A little while ago I decided to start reading to the girls at bedtime.  We've never really had "bedtime" stories before, and LadyBug was just starting to get excited about stories.  After reading "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" for the 87th night in a row, I knew that it was time to make a change!

So began the nightly ritual of "story time!"

And tonight, we just finished reading Old Yeller.

You know the story about a boy and his loyal dog?  These stories don't even end out too well.  Just about every story or movie that has a kid and an animal is going to be a tear jerker.



And look, I know I'm not giving too much away, when the ending is spelled out there on the first page.




Eek!

Thankfully, LittleBee hadn't registered that the ending was given away at the start of the book, so she was oblivious to the crux of storyline the whole way through.  Me on the other hand, I had my heart in my throat whilst turning every page, just waiting for it all to fall to pieces.

LadyBug snoozed through most of it (I must have the best "toddler-put-to-sleeperer" voice ever!)

It was a wonderful story really, full of adventure and excitement.  LittleBee wants to read more of their adventures, so I have researched two more books by Fred Gipson which follow on from where Old Yeller finishes.  Now to see if we can get our hands on a copy.


But tomorrow night, we just might start on The Never-ending Story.


What are some of your favourite childhood stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...